Man Who Drugged Daughter’s Friends At Sleepover Sentenced To 2 Years

Handcuffs-White man

An Oregon man, Michael Meyden, was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to spiking his daughter’s friends’ smoothies with sedatives during a sleepover.

The 57-year-old from Lake Oswego admitted to multiple felony counts in Clackamas County Circuit Court on Monday.

Meyden pleaded guilty to three counts of causing another person to ingest a controlled substance. Prosecutors revealed that he drugged three 12-year-old girls, including his daughter’s friends, during a sleepover on August 25.

The sedatives used were benzodiazepines, commonly prescribed for anxiety under names like Valium, Xanax, and Klonopin. The girls were hospitalized and tested positive for the drugs.

The case was handled by Clackamas County District Attorney John Wentworth, who emphasized the severity of Meyden’s actions.

“Mr. Meyden’s actions are inexcusable and reckless and required a punishment commensurate with the crime,” Wentworth stated. “The impact this event has had on the child victims, their families, and our community has been enormous.”

Meyden’s attorney, Jeff Turnoy, noted that his client could have his sentence reduced by five months for good behavior.

The negotiated plea deal also led to the dismissal of three additional felony counts and three misdemeanor counts. Meyden will be subject to three years of post-prison supervision.

Turnoy described Meyden as “incredibly remorseful and humbled” by his actions. He recounted that Meyden was tearfully apologetic in court, showing sincere regret for his behavior.

The incident occurred after Meyden made smoothies for the girls, who were having a “spa night” in the basement. Meyden’s daughter also tested positive for drugs, but he was not charged with drugging her.

Meyden claimed he sedated the girls to prevent them from sneaking out and to ensure they participated in planned activities the next day.

Court documents revealed disturbing details about the night. Meyden repeatedly went downstairs to separate the girls, and one of the girls managed to contact her parents for help.

The police were notified after the girls’ parents retrieved them from Meyden’s home.

The medical examiner’s office will conduct an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death. The investigation remains ongoing to rule out any possibility of foul play.