NC A&T Student Detained After Shooting Inside Residence Hall


North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (NC A&T) campus was rocked by an alleged shooting incident late Sunday night, April 14.

Gunshots rang out inside the freshman residence hall, Barbee Hall, around 11:30 p.m.

According to reports from WFMY News 2, the incident involved a single gunshot fired on the second floor of Barbee Hall, but thankfully, no injuries were reported.

Students were promptly informed of the situation through the AggieAlert text system, urging them to steer clear of the affected area.

The text alert issued by campus police stated:

“UPD is investigating shots fired inside of Barbee Hall. No injuries were reported and UPD was on scene. Stay clear of the scene.”

As the university police conducted their investigation, students were advised to relay any pertinent information to the campus emergency hotline.

By shortly before 1:00 a.m., NC A&T’s campus police confirmed that the situation had been resolved, issuing an:

“ALL CLEAR” alert: “ALL CLEAR!! UPD has cleared the scene at this time. If you have any additional information, contact campus police at 336-334-7675.”

The university released a statement via social media addressing the incident, reinforcing the strict prohibition of weapons on campus and urging students to remain vigilant:

“As we continue to be vigilant in maintaining a safe, campus environment, please remember weapons are strictly prohibited on our campus. As always, if you see something, say something. Please review your Aggie email for complete details.”

The alleged shooting incident is said to have stemmed from an altercation involving a male student identified as Nicholas Nasir McCall, 18, and his girlfriend, Jaila Chancel Gibson, 19, who is not affiliated with the university.

Both individuals have been apprehended and face charges, with McCall charged with felony possession of a weapon on educational property, as well as additional charges, and Gibson charged with felony firing of a weapon into an occupied dwelling.

Reports from WXII 12 indicate that McCall and Gibson are currently in custody at the Greensboro Detention Center. McCall’s bond is set at $1,000 secured, while Gibson is being held without bond.

This incident has sent shockwaves through the NC A&T community and highlights the ongoing concerns surrounding campus safety and gun violence on college campuses.